According to the Virginia Department of Health the cities of Petersburg, Hopewell, and Emporia continue to have the highest rates of HIV/AIDS in the Crater District. Petersburg has the largest percentage of cases among Blacks in the health district.
- Serenity's mission is to provide comprehensive service to people living with HIV/AIDS in a safe setting.
- Our mission also includes providing similar services to persons who are affected by HIV/AIDS. We are also mindful that over 30% of persons diagnosed were between the ages of 20-24 years of age.
- Up to 60% of people living with HIV do not show symptoms for many years. More devastating is that one can live with HIV without knowing it for up to seven years or more. This means the aforementioned young adults more than likely contracted the virus in between the ages of 14 and 19 years old!
- Serenity's own client base supports these statistics.
- Approximately 30% of the Serenity client base who are living with HIV/AIDS contracted the virus when they were between 14 and 19 years old.
- Over 850 persons are living with HIV/AIDS in the Crater District